Another soup recipe that will need to be made this fall season. Loaded with cheesy potatoes and vegetables this Cheesy Vegetable Chowder is going to hit the spot!
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
I love soup! It may be my love for fall and cold weather that really it all came from. Nothing beats soup on a cold fall day and the fireplace on. It’s the perfect combination. This Cheesy Vegetable Chowder recipe was one that my husband always ate growing up. I make it just a little different but he thought it tasted just as good! luckily anything with cheese in it or on it my kids will eat up so this recipe was a winner with the entire family.
Start your soup by sautéing some of your vegetables in butter. Then add your potatoes, broth, and seasonings. Allow it to cook until the potatoes are tender. While your potatoes cook you can get started on your cheese sauce. In a separate pan whisk together flour and butter. Add your milk and then melt your shredded cheese.
Once your potatoes are tender I added my milk, broccoli, and half and half. Last just add your cheese sauce that you made to your soup. Mix it together well and your soup is ready.
this post contains affiliate links, learn more about that here
Shop This Recipe:
Follow The Diary of a Real Housewife on Instagram. Show us what recipes you are cooking using the hashtag #TDOARH. I can't was it to see what you have cooking!
- Butter, 5 1/2 tbsp (divided)
- Carrots, shredded, 1 1/2 cups
- Celery, chopped, 1 cup
- Onion, chopped, 1 cup
- Garlic, minced, 2 tbsp
- Chicken broth, 3 cups
- Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed, 4 cups
- Broccoli florets, chopped, 3 cups
- Salt, 1/8 tsp
- Pepper, 1/8 tsp
- Parsley, dried, 1/4 tsp
- All-purpose flour, 6 tbsp
- Half and half, 1 cup
- Milk, 2 1/2 cups
- Cheddar cheese, shredded, 2 cups
- Parmesan cheese, shredded, 1/2 cup
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp of butter to a large pot on medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onions to pot and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for an addition 30-40 seconds.
- Add potatoes to the pot then str in chicken broth, dried parsley, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Add Broccoli and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan add remaining 4 tbsp of butter on medium heat. Add flour and whisk for 40-60 seconds until bubbly and foamy. While whisking pour in half and half and milk. Continue to whisk until no lumps remain. Add shredded cheddar and Parmesan and whisk until melted and well combined.
- Pour cheese sauce into soup and stir until well combined. Serve and enjoy!