The Classic Apple Pie recipe never goes out of style. It’s the perfect recipe for the holidays and the one that is on my menu every Thanksgiving.
Pie is one of my favorites. Warm fruit in a flaky crust topped with ice cream of course. When the holidays roll around I have pies are top on my baking list. Cherry, chocolate, peach, raspberry, but nothing beats the classic apple pie.
Start by peeling and slicing your apples. Then toss them into a mixing bowl and mix the rest of your filling. Then dump it on into your pie pan.
I used to take shirt cuts and just buy store bought pie crust but once I found how easy it was to make my own I never turned back. If you want to make a homemade crust stop by and grab this simple fool proof recipe, Homemade Pie Crust.
You can top the entire rolled our crust on top and poke holes or make a pretty design. It all taste the same after =)
Bake and top with ice cream or whipped cream. You just can’t have apple pie with out a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Use THIS recipe or a store bought crust.
- Granny Smith apples. cored, pealed, and sliced, 8 cups
- Lemon juice, 2 tbsp
- Sugar, 1 cup
- Brown sugar, 1/4 cup
- Flour, 1/4 cup
- Cinnamon, 1 tsp
- Nutmeg, 1/4 tsp
- Egg yolk, 1
- Water, 1 tbsp
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare dough and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together apples, lemon juice, sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Place 1/2 of dough into the bottom of a pie pan and fill with apple mix and top with other 1/2 of dough. Poke holes in the top or lay out crust and slice with a pizza cutter into stripes and place criss cross on top of the pie.
- Whisk together water and egg yolk and brush on top of the crust.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown. To keep your edges from burner add foil around the edges of the pie.