The perfect winter soup. This Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is simple to make and works perfectly for leftover Christmas Ham.
Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
Soup is my kind of food. I love the cool weather in the fall and winter and cold weather food is my favorite. Stop and picture it. The snow falling, the fireplace going, and this Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup cooking on the stove top. All I need now is come fuzzy socks and a good hallmark movie and you have entered my happy place. My husband on the other hand hasn’t always been a soup fan like me. I usually make it for lunch for myself but this time I made it for dinner and he LOVED it! He even had the leftovers. Husband approved soup = win!
I started with sauteing my vegetables to get them tender. I used celery, carrots, onion, all in butter. Once they cooked for a new minutes I added potatoes and broth and let it cook until the potatoes are tender. Then you can add your ham. I bought diced ham but you if you have left over ham this is the perfect recipe for it. When I add my ham I also add my can corn and again let it cook for a few minutes. It’s almost done, time to get cheesy! I added a cup of half and half and the cheese! Mix it it on low heat until the cheese is melted and well combined with your soup.
Serve on a cold night with warm rolls and a salad. Optional, I topped mine with shredded cheese. No optional, fuzzy socks and a fireplace =) I hope you enjoy this recipe. Make sure to follow me on Instagram @thediaryofarealhousewife and tag your recipe you try. I would love to see them! #tdoarh.
- Butter,2 tbsp
- Carrots, diced, 3/4 cup
- Celery, diced, 1/2 cup
- Onion, diced, 1/4 cup
- Russet potatoes, diced, 4 cups
- Chicken broth, 4 cups
- Ham, cooked and cubed, 16 oz
- Corn, 1 can
- Half and half, 1 cup
- Shredded cheese, 1 1/2 cup
- In a large pot warm butter over medium/high heat. Add diced carrots, celery, and onion. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Add diced potatoes, corn, ham and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow to cook covered for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Reduce heat to low and mix in half and half and shredded cheese. Stir constantly until cheese is melted and well combined with soup. Serve and enjoy!